Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Goodbye, my friend

My friend died yesterday.  Or maybe it would be more accurate to say she was healed of brain cancer, just not on this side of heaven. I had the privilege of spending Tuesday afternoons with her for the past several months.  We mostly just visited, with me sharing the day to day joys and struggles of being a mom of 6 with a slightly older wiser mom of 2.  But sometimes we shared more--digging into the deeper issues of life, and God, and pain.  Audrey was my Sunday School teacher, when I was a teenager, and my first camp counselor.  She was smart and funny and independent and strong and fearless and creative and encouraging and I loved her.  I love her.  As the tumor in her brain grew, and medications became necessary, the side effects made her self-conscious; as if the outward effect of steroids could somehow mar the beauty of her as a person.  I told her she was beautiful every time I visited.  Because she was.  In this last month, my visits became more frequent, and they were less about visiting, and more about managing...."what did she eat last, was she hungry, thirsty, did she need lotion, go ahead and nap, how about I empty that catheter bag"? I wish I had had the foresight to get a picture of Audrey and I together before the effects of steroids took their toll.  Some memories we must just treasure in our hearts.  I will miss Tuesdays with Audrey.  But I'm glad she's free of that body that would not cooperate anymore.

I can't wait to see her again someday.

Rest in peace, Audrey.  I enjoyed our friendship immensely.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Um, wow. Just beautiful.

Maureen said...

thanks, Andrea....