Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The word for 2011

In our house, building with Legos is a contact sport. Dinner can be a three ring circus, or a variety show, depending on the mood of the performers. And bedtime is an extravaganza of stories and guys and music and song and water and more water and "can you sit with me for a few minutes more?" Laundry piles waist high, dishes up to the elbows, and let's not even mention the hand prints, nose prints and tongue(!) prints on the windows! Most mornings start with warm snuggles in our bed, which inevitably ends in wild wrestling and possibly tears. Constant motion. High emotion. Active minds. Passionate hearts. Life is a whirlwind of babies and young men and all the in between and coming and going and meals and books and music and dreams and plans and work and friends and church and.....sometimes I'm overwhelmed. But today I'm taking a step closer to grateful.

Grateful.

Thankful.

For a husband who's a friend and can laugh along with me
For healthy kids who are strong enough to tackle each other, and, apparently, lick the windows...
For the house which is the home where food is plenty and dishes to the elbow mean we eat well
For dreams that have been dreamed, and the ones still yet to be
For passion that fuels vision
For books and plans and work and church
For friends and sisters who share their journey

I've picked a word to mark this year, inspired by this.

Gratitude.

I'm trying it on. Right now it's a bit long in the sleeves. I confess I've not been too liberal with my thanking. Here's to a new year marked with a long list of Thank yous to the One who gives me hope. This verse has been a lifeline through many of the trials in my life. But I don't think I ever paid enough attention to the words in bold...til now.

"Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus." Phillipians 4:6-7

3 comments:

Andrea said...

yay! i'm so glad you're doing this! sometimes being intentional is the most important step. everything else follows after that, you know? i love your word too! it's a good one!! :)

Maureen said...

Andrea--I'm so glad you saw my blog! I was going to email you and let you know you inspired me! :>)

Dee said...

Oh the forest! :0) It was such a pleasure to read, and I'm encouraged by it. You know, I am really glad you've got that lively crew over there. And you are the best mom and understanding woman because of all you experience. I hope you'll keep blogging :) I like pulling up a chair and listening in to the B home.