Thursday, March 20, 2008

Suzy homemaker....

I don't know about you, but there are certain foods in life that have intimidated me. Take guacamole, for example. My sis-in-law Linda makes the best guac...she knows how to pick avocadoes and puts just the right seasoning in it...so I was always afraid to try it. It could not possibly turn out as good as hers. Not too long ago I decided it was silly not to try, and wound up buying some perfect avocadoes and making some tasty guac. Matthew loved it, too! It even passed Ken's taste test. So, with that positive food experience under my belt, (no pun intended), I decided to overcome another intimidating food. Oma makes a concoction she calls "soup green" and she uses it in everything...spag sauce, soups, meatloaf, burgers, stews, goulash, fried rice...it is the foundation for flavor in so many things she makes. Every summer she makes a huge batch or two and shares some with me. It can be frozen and lasts long in the fridge, too. But I usually use it up while she's away in NM. I have wanted to make my own for years...but was afraid of it. Oma does not follow written recipes-and though I've asked her and watched her many times, I just can't change the fact that I need to read it to learn it. Well, I decided to bite the bullet and give it a try. I bought green peppers, carrots, onions, and celery and threw them in the food processor. I added a little sea salt, to taste, and Voila! My own version of soup green. I used it in my spag sauce yesterday and can't tell you the satisfaction of knowing it was my own handiwork that made it taste so good, with the added nutrition of all those veggies! Now, nuts in my dinner. That's another thing that intimidates me. But she made it sound so good, so maybe that will be my next food fear to overcome!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you Maureen! How neat also that you are carrying on a tradition started by your MIL.

Anonymous said...

I am intimidated by guacamole!!! ...maybe you can show me the ropes sometime...he he....peace...corrie

Paige said...

Oi ~ I am the queen of intimidated in the kitchen...Why do I fear failure so much?! It was good to read of your bravery & success!! Kudos to you ~ Love, P