Thursday, October 6, 2011

Ocean breezes, happy little mums...

For Christmas in 2008, I gave Ken a gift certificate for a B&B in Newport, RI. We finally got around to using it this month. What a delightful 3 days and 2 nights we spent, just the two of us. Uninterrupted conversations (anyone with little ones knows what that's like), no need to hurry anywhere, no routines to keep, so restful. We were spared the devastation of the recent flood, but were still feeling the stress of such sadness by so many we know and care for, the weight of the job of rebuilding a village. A get away was so needed by both of us.

A trip to the ocean is better than any therapy I know. The thundering sound of wave on shore, the musical sound of water as it dances between pebbles, hair blown wild with sea breeze and salt, the utter enormity of ocean spanning as far as the eye can see, is a treat for my senses, and instant relaxation. While there I am reminded how small I am, how big He is, and there are places beyond my everyday world that call to me, invite me to dream.

I could sit in the sun, drinking in the expanse of blue sky, glittering sun on rolling waves, forever.
I'm challenged afresh to keep my eyes open to the wonder and beauty of all that God has made. He didn't have to make the world so breathtaking. It's as if all of creation is a page from a love letter from Father, to us. And a trip to the ocean is not necessary--I just need to open my eyes to the wonder all around. Even in a flood damaged village, happy little mums can lift the spirit and soothe the soul.

I'll be setting some on my porch real soon.

1 comment:

Cassandra said...

So happy for you Maureen.