Friday, October 7, 2011

Ordinary Friday

I've come to realize that ordinary and extraordinary are inextricably linked.
The day my husband proposed to me was just an ordinary day, until...
the day my parents separated was ordinary until...
the day I found out I was pregnant (each of 6 times!) was ordinary until...
the day my mother-in-law stopped breathing was ordinary until...

Extraordinary.

I have swung the pendulum from bored and ungrateful, drowning in hum-drum to overwhelmed and anxious, and just...well...drowning, and every category of ordinary or extraordinary in between. Too many ordinary days in a row and I can't stand the monotony. Too many extraordinary days and I'm begging for some peace and routine.

Can you say "fickle"?

Here's the thing...I can't appreciate the happy extraordinary days and I can't recuperate from the sad extraordinary days without the ordinary ones. (And really, can't every day take on an extraordinary flavor when I open my eyes to the gifts all around?)

I savor the ordinary more these days. Thankful for the peace and calm, and confident that at any moment, an ordinary day can become extraordinary.

Trying something new with a friend.

1 comment:

Cassandra said...

Oh, I love that you have blogged 2 days in a row (not that I'm counting ;) ) this blog made me slow down and think. I agree. Ordinary is good if we can find the contentment held all up in it.