Tuesday, January 27, 2009

From couch to 5k

On Sunday afternoon me and 6 other moms took on our 9-10 year olds in a game of indoor soccer. It was the most fun I 've had in years, in spite of the puffing and wheezing that occured. I knew the next day would be a painful reminder of the fun of the previous day, so I was not surprised when my body protested as I got out of bed the next morning. And it was great for me, in many ways, to push myself to play despite my insecurities about the physical shape I am in, and with disregard to the fear that I might hurt myself. I realized that I am capable of much more than I gave myself credit for, and I want to keep pushing myself to do more. So I asked P.Ben about how he started running and he sent me the link for a "couch to 5k" running program. And today I completed Week one, Workout one. When I think of how inconsistent I have been about exercising, I feel a bit embarassed. But today I remembered there is a verse in the Bible that talks about a good man who falls 7 times but always gets up (anybody know where that is?) So, I'm up, and going again. Call me crazy, just don't hate me. :>) Yes, I see you sticking your tongue out at me...yeah, you, I see you! You won't see me running on the road, however. No, jogging, for me, must be a private affair for a while. But I just may run in a race when all is said and done. From barely moving to running a race. How's that for a turn around? And all because my son is on a soccer team. Thank God for our kids--they quite literally keep us moving!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Maureen that's great! I guess you'll be too fast for a walk :) But that's ok, you gotta do what you gotta do!

Mamala said...

Go Reena Go! It's Proverbs 24:16. ;0)

Keila said...

Go, Moe!!!