Thursday, January 29, 2009

Workout # 2

So, in keeping with my quest to go from couch to 5k, I ventured out on workout #2 this afternoon. My driveway was way too snowy and icy, however, so I decided to ignore the looks and jog in town while I waited for Dan to be done with preschool. I parked at the Presbyterian church and started my brisk 5 minute walk. A minute later, I had slipped on some ice and pulled a groin muscle (is that too much information?) I couldn't even make it through the brisk walk without injuring myself! I decided not too let that stop me, though, and continued on with the 60 seconds of jogging and the 90 seconds of walking for a full 20 minutes. Just in case you are left with this glorious image of runner with hair streaming in the wind and perfect form, I will tell you I'm sure I look more like I'm pounding the pavement than jogging. It is just barely a jog, more like hop-walking, but a girl's gotta start somewhere, right? I do feel great, now that it's done, and I really like the workout for a couple reasons:
1. I'm so concentrated on keeping track of the 60 sec jog/90 sec walk, that 20 minutes flies by
2. Each week is a more difficult challenge, so it keeps it more like a sport and less like monotonous exercise.
3. I always work harder when there is a goal to meet (get the soccer ball, run to home plate, run the race). It's the competitive side of me.
4. It leaves room to workout every other day, so I can recover from stretched muscles in between. :>)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hooray Maureen! What good work... You inspire me!

Jenn said...

Moe... can I see a copy of the Couch to 5K?..... not that I am competitive or anything....;)

Jacqs said...

Weigh down. You TOLD me about it and I lost 30lbs. Maybe reading about your exercise routine will do the same thing! Thanks for being a pioneer for us fatties! I love you!!!