Monday, February 2, 2009

The balancing act

Yesterday I completed workout 3. I sloshed my way through the melting layer of snow and ice on my driveway, not wanting to allow the bad conditions to be an excuse for skipping the jog. For anyone interested in joining the journey from couch to 5k, here's the link. Tomorrow I will begin week 2, with 90 sec of jogging and 2 minutes of walking. Oh boy....I must say, though, that I already feel a positive difference--I was waking up with aches and pains in my back every morning, and had to stretch and crack things into place--but now I don't wake up with pain, and there is very little "realigning" to do. I think it's because of the muscle that is being built, which is amazing after such a short time of regular exercise.

Now, getting out to exercise has not been an easy matter. And mostly because I am the engine that keeps this home machine running smoothly. It's not always easy to keep things balanced and in perspective. Is exercise an extra in my day, or is it necessity? And reading... Bible reading is most definitely a necessity, and a joy more often than not these days...but what about the classics I find myself drawn to, or the biographies and teaching books I long to read. Is that extra or necessity? Visits with friends, volunteer work in the community... Finding the balance, juggling each of these things without dropping another, finding His heart in the everday decisions I make...God's wisdom is needed, his strength and creativity, all available to me as I seek Him.
So, for now, I've determined exercise is a necessity.
I'll let you know how workout 4 goes.

1 comment:

Cassandra said...

Oh Maureen...keep going! You are doing great! And I hope you get those secret and clear directions from the Lord. His hand is on you, and I am so inspired by your living in the Shadow. Have a blessed day.