Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Hi-ho, hi-ho....it's off to work I go

I haven't said too much about my job as breastfeeding peer counselor lately, but it's very much on my mind this morning because today I will teach a pre-natal breastfeeding class. My objective is to make such a convincing case for breastfeeding that one or two expectant moms will consider it as an option. I have half an hour to cover how our bodies make milk through how to breastfeed discreetly in public. I'm a bit nervous. I don't want to come off as too teachy, too official. I also don't want to sound like a bumbling idiot. Somewhere in the middle would be nice.
Over the last few months I have contacted many, many new and expectant moms. I've brought to life the lending library and have taken over the breast pump loan program. I've planned two breastfeeding support groups for the end of this month, and I'm planning a breastfeeding awareness fair for the first week in August. In July I will take a week long course to become a Lactation Consultant. I still love this job. And it seems to love me. At least that's what my boss tells me! I'm thankful today for God's leading hand, and direction. It's not something I ever would have seen myself doing. But God surprises us with joy, sometimes. (Isn't that a title of a CS Lewis book?)

4 comments:

Keila said...

Maureen! You will do just wonderful in your class. The beauty of it is that you won´t be "teachy" or "official" because you are not... you are warm, encouraging and have such a wonderful imparting heart that will just come through in your interaction with these ladies!

dee said...

Yes I agree with Keila...and is you were only a fly on the wall overhearing me you would hear me to others, "Well, MY girlfriend, who is THE lactation consultant for our county says..."

dee said...

oh sorry...IF you were a fly on the wall :)

Maureen said...

Thanks, you guys...