Monday, June 22, 2009

In the early days...

I used to listen to a music group called Harvest, and they used to sing a song called In the Early Days. It was all about how in the early days of our christianity we are enthusiastic and energetic and passionate. I found myself humming that tune today--as I thought about all the things I used to do to keep my house clean that have fallen to the wayside with each new family addition. Strange connection, I know. So, in the early days....

I would scrub the siding at the front entrance of the house a couple times a year to take care of the spider poo, webs and coccoons. Not done yet....

I would wash the walls in every room with water and bleach to disinfect, brighten, and deodorize, at least twice a year. This year...well....

I would mop my kitchen floor once a week. Now I'm lucky to mop once a month.

I would scrub the inside of my fridge every couple of weeks or so. At this point things could possibly be growing in there and I wouldn't know it.

I would dust weekly. Now I dust before company.

This is helpful, however in pointing out all the jobs I could now add to the list of ways to keep bored children busy over summer vacation. If I've said it once I've said it a hundred times---find something to do! And teasing your brother doesn't count!

I admit a lack of enthusiasm, energy and passion for keeping my house clean. But something is stirring--maybe it's early nesting.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

you don't want to see what is growing my frig... I am going to think about a summer time cleaning also... your making me think

Dee said...

You are doing awesome Maureen. Love you, and am doing a lot of the same. I'm over here directing traffic, and trying to keep things humming.