Monday, April 25, 2011

Thankful on a Monday

"A nail is driven out by another nail; habit is overcome by habit." ~Erasmus

"Because the habit of discontent can only be driven out by hammering in one iron sharper. The sleek pin of gratitude. I hammer."

"A lifetime of sermons on 'thanks in all things' and the shelves sagging with books on these things and I testify: life changing gratitude does not fasten to a life unless nailed through with one very specific nail at a time."
~Ann Voskamp, One Thousand Gifts, ch 3

I have been guilty of using a broad brush to paint thanksgiving on the canvas of my life, as Ann talks about in her book. Thankful, in general, but not good at putting my finger on exactly what I'm thankful for. When I first began trying to count and list what I was thankful for, it seemed so weird...
God
Family
Friends
Health
Yep, that covers it.
Oh, and food.
And shelter.
Yeah, that's all.
How on earth was I going to get to 1000? Specificity is the key. What about God, or family, or friends, or health, today, at this moment, am I thankful for? And so began the treasure hunt, the hunt for beauty as Ann calls it. It is wildly fun to go through my days with eyes wide open searching for the sources of joy that might otherwise go unnoticed, un-named, had I continued to use the wide brush. So I sharpen the point of my paintbrush, and I will name the gifts God gives that bring me so much joy....

#21-30, and counting...

Freezer full of pork
Sisters giggling under blankets
Windows letting in sun, keeping wind out
Hot chocolate faces
Smiley children, inspiring smiles
Pancakes for breakfast, cooking done by others
Mess in my house=Life in my house
Springy breezes
Chimney fire but no need for fire department

I'm still working on specificity. And I'm getting better at seeing the blessing that exists even in the midst of frustration, or fear.

One nail at a time.


3 comments:

Adrienne said...

Awesome! Maureen I too found myself using the broad brush! And I have found many moments daily that I am thankful for...now if I can just get that journal book open to write them down! You did a fantastic job of breaking it down! And inspired me to be more faithful to write! Thanks!

Cassandra said...

So so good. Thank you for encouraging me my friend and fellow "hunter"

Andrea said...

I love this! You're a good hunter! And these gave me a glimpse into your home and life which is so beautiful, and real, and full of life.. I just love it!