Sunday, December 9, 2007

My testimony

I frequently think about the way God used two dear young girls and their loving, accepting families to woo me to himself. I was a smartmouth 13 year old, unsuccessfully trying to fit in with my peers at school after moving here from downstate. Jenny lived across the street with her parents and sister. Her mom ran a little Christian bookstore out of the front room of their house. Her father played the organ at the Reformed Church. I practically lived at their house for 2 years. They fed me, put up with my idiosyncrasies, and introduced me to Christianity, as a lifestyle. Their faith was never hidden, and they invited me in to have a taste. I attended church from time to time, youth camps, special events. And God used this family to gently lead me to Him. But I hadn't yet accepted the forgiveness and grace of The Redeemer. The seeds this family had planted, another family was to water.

Dee introduced herself to me as we waited in line at the cafeteria in school. She complimented me on how pretty I looked that day. I was a hurting 15 year old, dealing with divorced parents and an angry alcoholic step-father. We became friends, and for the next 3 years I practically lived at their house. They fed me, put up with my idiosyncrasies (do you see a trend?) and introduced me to Jesus. They talked about Jesus, wrote about Jesus and sang about Jesus. Every car ride promised beautiful harmonies and melodies about Jesus. They brought me to church and special events, even family vacations...and then one day, as I rode in the back of their car Dee's mom asked me if I wanted to pray and accept Jesus as my personal savior. I did, so I prayed after her. And I was saved. Seeds of God's word now watered, were able to sprout.

Sometimes I marvel at God's hand on my life even then, placing these families in my path at just the right moments, equipping them with grace and patience to deal with me in all my pain and ignorance. I always felt welcome in their homes, I always felt loved. I am so thankful for the time they were willing to spend showing me the love of Jesus. I would not be who I am today were it not for their willingness to share the Gospel with one of the lost.

It's my heart's desire to do the same. May my family be that example of Christ's love to the hurting ones. Acceptance for those who feel rejected. Tenderness for the needy. Encouragement for the downtrodden. Safety for the insecure. All things to all people, that we might win for Christ those who are lost.

Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful...I am crying and I'm not sure why???...its a wondrous thing to see the hand of God on your life....love and peace...corrie

Anonymous said...

...and here we are some 20 years later. Who would have known this shy girl would be so blessed by one invitation!?