Monday, February 18, 2008

Putting things in order...

"Drop thy still dews of quietness
Till all our strivings cease.
Take from our souls the strain and stress,
And let our ordered lives confess
The beauty of Thy peace."
John Greenleaf Whittier
In the book Let Me Be a Woman, Elisabeth Elliot says "The way you keep your house, the way you organize your time, the care you take in your personal appearance, the things you spend your money on all speak loudly about what you believe. 'The beauty of Thy peace' shines forth in an ordered life."
That's probably why we feel so much better in a tidy atmosphere. There's peace there.
We could use a little more order around here. And I'm not just talking cluttered closets, though they could use a little order, too. Order speaks of things in their proper places...and I'm thinking the attitudes in this humble abode need a bit of a realignment.
Starting with me.
I'll just pick up that self pity over there and throw it in the trash. Then I'll toss those dirty old complaints and grumbles into the washer and add a bit of All (you know, cast All your troubles on Him, for He cares for you...) Those distractions scattered across the floor can be put back on their proper shelves, and I'll clean out that junk drawer full of offenses.
There, that's better.
Now, to tackle those closets.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking so much about peace having a cost. The kids were bananas this morning, and I was too! :) I had to pickmyself up by the bootstraps and remind myself just what I needed to do (adjust my attitude and discipline!). Love you Maureen. Thank you for sharing again. Hope you can climb this mountain sometime soon...or maybe I should descend? LOL :)

Jenn said...

Some times I feel like i don't want to look in the closets ...as i lean on them and they are bursting out...that is how i feel at times....your words have much wisdom ...Love ya