Thursday, July 24, 2008

Still enjoying that little manners book...

Of Behaviour at the Table.


#6 Find not fault with any thing that is given thee.
(I guess mine are not the first to complain about what's on the dinner table, eh?)

#14. Make not a noise with thy tongue, mouth, lips, or breath, either in eating or drinking.
(One of Ken's biggest pet peeves!)

#22 Stuff not thy mouth so as to foll thy Cheeks; be content with smaller Mouthfuls.
(Need I comment?)


#25 Smell not to thy Meat, nor move it to thy Nose; turn it not the other side upward to view it upon the Plate.
(Funny story--I used to babysit from time to time for a little boy who could tell food was different from his mom's brand just by smelling it. I am not exaggerating--I served Tuna one day-he immediately knew it was different. Spaghetti sauce, same thing. He would bring the food to his nose and sniff. If that didn't send up any red flags, and it almost always did, he would put a little on his tongue. That was usually the end of the meal for him!)--

#26 Throw not any thing under the Table.
(what I would give to the person who could teach my 1 1/2 year old this one!)
I can't explain how comforting it is to know that these behaviors were problematic enough back then that someone addressed them in a manners book. It's the same feeling I get when I watch Super Nanny, which is either:
a. Thank God my kids are not that bad!
b. So I'm not the only parent dealing with that behavior issue.
or
c. I am not the meannest parent in the world for making my child _____________.

3 comments:

Mamala said...

These are hilarious. I'm sure girls have improved a lot over the generations, but those boys!

Anonymous said...

I know that little boy!...LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
love ya, corrie

Jenn said...

I know that one little boy that sniffed his food.....hmmm... I think he still does that....lol