Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Big toe in the water...

Getting back into the school routine is a little like getting into the water of a cool Adirondack lake. Refreshing, in a shocking sort of way. This year I'm going slow, and starting way in advance of when I actually need to start swimming, so to speak. I got my big toe wet today...shelves have been cleared of last year's debris to make room for this years goodies. Filling the shelves with delicious books is a joy that even Emma was able to appreciate as she proudly stacked her own school books on her shelf. Implementing a schedule is a focus of mine these days. Disciplining myself to rise before the children in order to get some much needed exercise and prayer time before the start of the day, designated play times between older siblings and younger siblings, and delegation of chores are the big issues I'm trying to address, on top of the academics. Andrew is beginning his Freshman year of High School...... What!!??? Did I just write those words? Jon is beginning 4th grade-both of these years are serious schooling years, in my opinion. 4th grade seems to be a transition year to more challenging work. 9th grade the preparation for adult life becomes more concentrated. The expectation gets raised, the work gets harder--more independence is required. I admit to a little fear and trembling as I look ahead. Grace and strength for the day; it's His promise.
I'm counting on it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an important, exciting job we have. Confidence in His strength will get us there! Love you..

Mamala said...

Oh, I love the filling-and-organizing-the-shelves day! Enjoy the planning and preparing; praying you have a great year. ;0)