Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Zuchini bread, anyone?




So, after lots of rain, and a weekend of no one picking, I have been bombarded with about 25 yellow squash and zuchini of various sizes, with a couple being of the baseball bat variety....

Forced to dive into the scary world of preserving...For two days I have shredded, sliced, parboiled and bagged up squash and zuchini. I am currently looking for some different ways to use it...some thoughts are zuchini relish, stuffed zuchini, and chocoloate zuchini bread, which is currently baking in the oven! I have a renewed sense of awe for the women of yesteryear who had to preserve enough food to get through the long winters. It was necessity... no supermarkets to run to when they ran out of things. They did without, ate what was in season, and suffered some rumbly tummies through the winters, I imagine. Canning, freezing and preserving never made sense to me, til now. If I want the nutrition that squash can give, during a time when there is no local squash to be found, I must put some away for later. It makes perfect sense now.... I know, it takes me a little while, but I do finally get it eventually.
Hit me with your best shot, tomatoes! I'm ready for ya!


2 comments:

Mamala said...

Wow, I'm impressed! Are you canning or freezing? My sister has a recipe for zucchini-something, I will ask her for it.

DId you let the children beat each other with the big ones?

Anonymous said...

You are amazing! Wish I had a garden!