Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Where's Emma?

When I travel alone with the children, I often experience a brief moment of panic when the thought occurs to me that I don't remember putting Matthew in his car seat, which causes me to swivel my head to look behind me to make sure he is actually in the car. My children think this is wildly funny and will frequently tease me by frantically crying out, "Where's Matthew?" as we drive down the road. You may think that could not possibly happen, but I know what this sleep deprived brain is incapable of...namely, remembering things very well. Tonight, one of my worst fears came true...I actually left a child behind. Poor Emma! As she says, "How could you forget your only girl?" Thank God it was at the church, where she was supervised by her beloved and gracious :) Aunt Jenn. I actually made it all the way home, shared some coffee with a fellow sleep deprived dear friend, (name withheld to protect the innocent), and had talked with Ken for about 5 minutes before it actually dawned on me that I had gone to church with 2 children and come back with only one!
Yes, I am extremely embarassed.
Yes, you may laugh at me.
Yes, I'm going to bed now.
Good night.

5 comments:

Mamala said...

Oh, dear. John still occasionally talks about being left behind in Albany when he was a kid. They were halfway home before they noticed. ;0)

Mamala said...

Another thought... Why didn't any of the other 5 kids tell Oma & Grampa that John wasn't with them? Just wondering.

Who was your kid #2 on that trip to church? Hee hee.

Jenn said...

Oh Moe... Emma was such a good sport about it all.... and I am so glad that i could be there to hug and reassure he that she was going to be ok... we love you and... hey what is family for.

Keila said...

I agree with Jenn, Emma was actually thrilled!!! She kept going to each and every one of us saying... "Guess what!!! My parents left without me!!!" and then move on to the next listener!!! There were so many of us there ready to take her home, though, I am sure she felt quite safe!

Anonymous said...

Heha! Well, she was tucked away into a "safe zone" in your subconscious. And church is that safe zone. Take heart! I've heard of other well respected moms who have done the same. Our minds get very busy when our responsibilities get multiplied, and we need a little help from time to time. Ok, for me, a lot of the time ;) Love you!