Thursday, August 28, 2008

What's working, what's not...

Bread making:
What's working: We are mostly eating the bread I bake myself. I've made whole wheat, rye and honey oatmeal, the family favorite, pictured below. I would like to grind my own wheat as well, and will be saving my pennies to buy a grain mill. I would also like to get Dee's recipe for bagels, because I've stopped buying them and the kids are missing them.
What's not: I have yet to get far enough ahead in my baking to freeze any and so have run out and had to buy bread twice. Making 2 loaves at a time is not quite enough, but it's what I can do with the kitchen aid right now.
Garden:
What's working: Squash, zuchini and cherry tomatoes.
What's not: Big tomatoes---they are rotting on the vine before they turn red!
School:
What's working: Scheduled playtimes with Matt by older siblings. That has really made a difference in my day! The day is flowing nicely with less outbursts and fighting than I had imagined. Separate history for Emma and Jon--I was combining them but that was not working well. This way History will alway be at Emma's level, and then Dan will hopefully tag along.
What's not: My schedule nicely laid out on paper in half hour increments...the spirit of the schedule is there, but if Matt's nap goes beyond 3pm I'm not necessarily going to wake him, etc.
Cameras:
What's working: Andrew's camera has been working overtime to take the landscape shots he is so good at.
What's not: My own camera...I think it might be dying.


Walking:

What's working: Still love walking early in the a.m. I usually am able to do it 6 days a week, and I recently discovered that what I thought was 1 mile of walking was actually close to 2! I couldn't understand why it was taking me so long to walk a mile! I know I'm not physically fit, but.....

What's not: Staying up late and trying to get up early in the morning. I'm trying to fit in some chores and relaxation time after the kids go to bed, but it's taking a bite out of the sleep I think my body needs, and I'm sleepy around 1pm. I know I need to go to bed earlier, but I so enjoy that time in the evening when the house is quiet...

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Maureen you amaze me!!!!!! I think I saw a recipe for wheat bread that made five loaves I will try to find it if your interested. Love ya

Keila said...

That bread looks so good! Do you bake it in your oven? And, being so disconnected these past couple weeks, I forgot to ask you to consider fitting in the little Spanish for the little ones in your schedule... Do you think there is any chance still? I do have the books I got for your children and would hate to have them sit there unused.