Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The appraisal

Ken and I have wanted to refinance our house to get out of an adjustable rate and change over to a 15 yr from a 30 yr mortgage. But there were things we needed to do before the inevitable appraisal...like put in a heat system!! Ken finished that this winter so we started looking at rates and who offered what and so on. We settled on a local bank, filled out the loan application, and the appraiser called to set up an appointment. And the last minute flurry of touch-ups began. I now have trim around my doors and bathroom windows (thanks, Tom!) and some doorways have been painted, the posts on the porch as well. The house got a thorough cleaning and looks great. We were feeling really good about how things looked for the appraisal scheduled for yesterday afternoon. She arrived on time-the appraiser, that is- and as she got out of the car and looked at the gang of children over by the swing-set (who were banished from my clean house until after the appraisal) she said, "I see you run a day care!" Yes, she was serious! I laughed and said, "No, I have 5 children and 3 extra nieces and nephew visiting today!" A few pictures and short tour through the house later she was back in her car and driving down the driveway. It took all of 5 minutes! Surely all of our labor deserved more attention than this! Regardless, we are enjoying the fruit of our labor (and Tom's, too!). We are encouraged to continue finishing those last details that seem to have been forgotten over the years, a bit chagrined that it has taken so long, and relieved that the appraisal is now behind us. I'm praying for big numbers...why not?
And now I will get back to my real job as day care provider.... :>)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I forgot that was yesterday! I feel like a broken record here, but I understand the sweetness of being in a home with tidiness and details all fresh to enjoy :) Enjoy it, and sip some tea. The "daycare" may take some work to follow up and tidy after ;)

Keila said...

Hey, I'll come appraise your house any time if you need the motivation... he,he,he..