Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Let's go fly a kite...

Remember the song? The one from Mary Poppins?
Daniel received a kite for his birthday. We saved it for a sunny day, or at least one that was not rainy. Yesterday I couldn't hold him off any more. He was determined to see it fly. We took it out of the package, assembled the pieces, tied the string on, and with barely contained excitement we headed outside. It was pretty gusty, and I started to think it might be too windy for the fragile kite, but there was no going back at that point. With 2 little ones watching intently, I held the kite high and let the wind take it. With a huge woosh the wind ripped it from my hands so violently that it tore the string right through the plastic! Broken before it ever had a chance to fly. Many tears and 6 strips of duct tape later, we were back out to try it again. Apparently the duct tape was causing a problem with the aero dynamics, because all it would do then was loop de loops! Which, while being a bit embarassing to me (I have never been a good kite flier!) was quite entertaining for the little ones.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was little I thought kites were magic and the kids who had parents willing to fly them were so lucky.
Duct-taped success or not, I'm sure in 5 years your kids will talk about the kite soaring high into the sky and what a hero their mom was.

Keila said...

I always thought that kite flying was a complicated science. October and November is the kite flying season in Guatemala but my parents would always buy me one, take us to a place to fly it and it never flew! We never saw one rise!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Maureen!
I really hope I have some of those items that will fill in the blanks for Matthew's wardrobe. I'm always happy we're on the same wavelength.

Ok for the record, I think you've proven yet again you are so much fun. I don't think I've ever gotten out to fly those kites, nevertheless repair with duck tape. (That would be another hero named Jeremy ;)