Wednesday, September 17, 2008

If I could talk to the animals....

There is a chipmunk that lives in the rock wall that lines our driveway. Or maybe there's more than one, they all look the same. I'm not sure if it's the same one, but Andrew tried to befriend it many years ago, with no success. Jon did the same, spending hours sitting quietly, leaving little treats in hopes of earning his trust. To no avail. Today, I was walking up my driveway, toward the barn, and there, in the middle of the driveway sat the chipmunk, looking at me out of the corner of his eye. Little sides heaving like he was scared out of his mind. Not moving, not trying to run away. I was a little worried about Sassy trying to catch him, because she was sniffing around up ahead, so I moved my leg ever so slightly to scare the chipmunk into action. He run about a foot away, stopped, then turned and ran straight toward me and

started
to
climb
up
my
leg.....

He only made it up the back of my shoe before I screamed and shook him off. Then he scurried off into the bushes. I have no idea if he was being friendly or just aggressive...weird, eh?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maureen! Oh my goodness!!!! I can't believe that! Eek...I've got the willies along with you, and a little laughing. Is that ok? :)

Jenn said...

lol... i read this to everyone!!!!

Mamala said...

Oh how scary! You are like Snow White -- so kind and beautiful, even the animals want to be near you. ;0)

Keila said...

Ha,ha,ha... your kids' efforts were finally paying off and you scared the little thing away!!! (I most certainly would have done the exact same thing, though!)