Monday, November 19, 2007

Put on a happy face...

I went grocery shopping today. With the kids. Yes, all 5 of them! It is a challenge, in more ways than one. Shopping wisely requires thinking, which is hard to do when 3 yo is incessantly asking "where my dollar go?" and others are begging for chicken from the deli. 11 month old is getting cranky in the baby pouch, carts are overflowing..I'm trying to keep a smile on my face, but it's replaced by the characteristic grimace I seem to make when my brain is being taxed (my 13 yo informed me of that one). I was reminded of an editorial I read in World mag the other day, written by Andree Seu....

"I have been thinking about faces. When I walk the dog, a face is the first thing-and in most cases the only thing-a person will see of me. If I get to thinking about the number of people who are lost, and the shortness of time, I feel sad about all those ships passing without a gospel word. And yet, the face does pour forth speech. I remember the first time I saw [her] face. I was 23 and hippy-grungy and plopped on her doorstep, some unknown vagabond accompanying her "adopted" son. She opened the door and looked at me-and beamed. That was my introduction to Christianity."

I want my face to exude the love of Jesus... To beam with love and joy as I walk the dog, or shop with 5 kids, or whatever I do.
So I finally made it through the checkout line and we headed out the door. The children had waited expectantly for this moment....they each had a quarter for a gumball. I have 2 full carts of groceries, 3 young children milling about dropping and finding their quarters and blocking the doorway, one baby hanging on the front of me in a baby pouch...coats all need to be put on, gumballs are dropped...boots fall off...I look up and an elderly woman was looking at me with utter astonishment...her mouth was open in awe and her eyebrows raised... We must have been making quite a scene! I mustered up what love and joy I could and beamed a smile. Hurried, harried and harassed as I felt, I think Jesus shined through. And she smiled back. An instant understanding between us that there can be joy even in the midst of challenging circumstances. I was glad at that moment I had all the kids with me.

(But next time I'll consider going while they are all snug in their beds!)



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

good one Maureen. your happy face is one of the best.

Jacqs said...

I wish I could go with you next time!

My new favorite thing to snack on while in Stuff Mart is the barbecue chicken from the deli ...mmm mmm good!

Keila said...

Good for you! That's more than I could have mustered! ha,ha,ha!

Anonymous said...

you always show a happy face.even through thick or thin.......LOve ya,

Jenn

Anonymous said...

O yea I'm a 13 yo.....whatever that is...

Anonymous said...

oh...wait, you really did that...POOR YOU!!!:0:0:0:0






Snicker Snicker :)