Thursday, November 15, 2007

Unity

My brothers and I used to fight. Alot. Unfortunately, I loved to tease--I'm ashamed to admit I was a mean big sister. We used to drive my parents crazy. I never understood why until I became the referee for my own SWF....Sibling Wrestling Federation. There are few sounds more peace shattering and disheartening than siblings who quarrel relentlessly, especially when it turns into a full-out brawl.

"Behold, how good and pleasant it is
For brothers to dwell together in unity!
It is like precious oil upon the beard,
Even Aaron's beard,
Coming down upon the edge of his robes.
It is like the dew of Hermon
Coming down upon the mountains of Zion;
For there the Lord commanded the blessing- life forever."
Psalm 133:1-3

These verses came to my mind this morning as I enjoyed the "goodness and pleasantness"of brother and sister playing together like the friends I pray they will be. God so desires us to be united that He commanded a blessing to be there.

Unity- the state of being one or a unit...harmony, agreement in feelings or ideas or aims.

My children won't always agree with each other. But as they put one another's interests ahead of their own, they will walk in unity.
So this morning I forgo academics to nurture unity. There's a blessing there.






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My name is Dee. I am also a recovering teasing big sister. Hope they forgive me! Enjoy your sweet fellowship friend.

Anonymous said...

Reena,

I heard a great idea at our homeschool group meeting last week. One of the moms has a tradition -- during November, each day the kids all write something they are thankful for *about each of their siblings * and all the little papers go into a special box. They read them out loud at Thanksgiving.

I only have one daughter, so I think I'll just have her write what she's thankful for about *me* - every day. ;0)

Wendy

Maureen said...

I love that idea! I think I'll give it a try!